Friday 9 May 2014

England squad for the World Cup predictions

Monday 12th May we finally find out who Roy Hodgson has picked to go to the World Cup.  In previous years I have found this fairly predictable obviously, not including Theo Walcott being brought along with only 2 other senior strikers in the squad.

I can't see too many surprises this time round either. Injury naturally has affected the selection with both Townsend and Walcott out as well as the lad at Southampton. I am wondering if this paves the way for Lennon to slot into the squad as a alternative wide man. One of the biggest question marks is the final striker slot. Rooney is a given with most probably Jermain Defoe, Danny Sturridge and possibly Lambert? Andy Carroll is popular with the England manager I believe, injuries however have affected him being selected. Personally I think he is going to bring Carroll over Lambert which a lot of people will see as a great injustice.

Adam Lallana has really impressed this year and will rightly be brought along. I don't think Roy has any choice but to start the lad too on current form. I went to the Germany friendly a few months back. It was interesting to see the team up close. It wasn't a vintage performance to say the least but I think we showed spells of a decent team. Gerrard and Rooney were stand out for me mainly the way they spread the ball and looking to make things happen. Cleverly looked a bit shaky as well as Smalling but I think this stems from the United issue. Going back to Lallana and how he has come on I saw first hand what he can do. Lallana is what they call in "street football" a baller. He likes the ball at his feet and can take on players and get into those holes and create and finish with 9 goals and 6 assists this season for the saints.

Come Monday hopefully Roy has thought long and hard about the group of players that will fly to Brazil. We need a few "risks" ( Lallana and Shaw) as well as stability ( Gerrard, Cole and Rooney) and you never know we may win the thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment